Raaaaawwrrrr! We're going on a lion hunt! This is one of my favorite spring units to use in the preschool and early elementary crowd. I've had this unti ready to share with you for a while and I'm happy to finally get it up in TpT in case you want to use it this summer!
This unit is 22 pages in length. A perfect mini unit to accompany the book, which you can find below on Amazon!
Story Retell: Laminate pages 3 & 4 (keep them whole). Tape the two pages together so
that students can see all 8 different story settings. Cut out and laminate the groups of kids
on page 5. To retell the story, move the characters across the settings (school, path, mud,
sticks, trees, river, grass, cave) and then back the same way!
• Comprehension Questions: Use the included comprehension questions to target receptive
and expressive language. (pages 6-9).
• Packing for the Future: Cut apart the cards on page 11. Have your students determine what
they would need/want to bring on a safari trip. Develop sentences with the future tense and
pack your suitcase on page 10.
• Not that: Use the included sentences to target receptive language of negation. (page 12).
• Size it up: Sort the included animals into size boxes and then describe them using
comparatives and superlatives. (pages 13-14).
• Ticket: After you complete the lesson, give each student a ticket to take home for their
- journey (page 15).
• Sign it: Use the included animal signs for jungle animals (page 16).
• Do-a-Dot: Use the included sheet as a reinforcer. Students color dots as they answer stimulus
prompts (pg. 17)
• Hide-A-Paw: Hide the included paw cards (pg 18-19) in your room. Have student say a
sentence describing where they find them (ie: UNDER the chair).
• Safari Match: Give students articulation cards and a game board (pg. 20). Print 6 copies of
page 21 and have students draw cards. Read the number on each card and say that many
articulation words. The first to match each of the 6 animals wins.
My students loved all these activities and I hope yours will too! You can grab it in my TPT store to easily download, print and use!
Do you use any other safari themed books? If you'd like to win a copy of this unit just enter the rafflecopter widget below!